What are you Doing?!?

Shouldn't you be working right now?




Thursday, November 11, 2010

S'Wonderful

I slept in this morning, for the first time in I have no idea how long. Frigging long. And I feel like a new woman, stress levels that were reaching a dangerous high in these last few days have taken a dip. And thank goodness, cause I was getting to the stomping around, ripping shit off of walls - in an admittedly amazing Godzilla impersonation - stage.

So living in Iqaluit, sometimes, it's like living in the Hollywood high school version of reality tv, just without all the plastic surgery and bronzer. It's one of those places where everybody knows everybody, and your ex's are also your best friend's ex's and theres all kinds of overlap in friend groups and such. Which is cool except it seems like this time of year, every year, everyone is all frigging fraught. Drama! I have a theory that everyone knows whats coming (winter) so everyone loses their EVER LOVING MIND. See, it's dark out right now, and it's 3:30 in the afternoon. A week from now it'll be darker, a month from now, people reach a fever pitch of insanity. It's like your body knows that it's gonna be dark all the time, and you're subconsciously preparing to hibernate for the winter, but without the added benefit of all that sleep. It was really confusing for me, my first winter here. I was all tired all the time, but couldn't figure out why. I'd eat supper at 2 in the afternoon, and be baffled when it was 7 and I was hungry again. So my first winter, I took the attitude of, "well, it's dark out, must be time for a drink."

So why the drama? Why the lost threads of sanity? Excellent question, and frigged if I know. It's not like anyone has to work less, or get paid less, or there are less flights out or even crappier then usual selection of stuff at the grocery store. People certainly don't party less, in fact, if possible, people party more. Everything just feels a little frantic. It's probably a combination of the dark, and the knowledge that it's gonna get really fucking cold, really soon. Probably. Maybe people are just nuts, hard to say.

In other news, a startling number of people have read this little blog in the time that I've been writing, and I want to express my gratitude and sheer amazement. God love ya, every one. It's really good for my head to think that people are listening, and to all of you who have mentioned the blog to me at the grocery store, and the airport, and school - know that you make my day every time. Thank you.

My fella didn't work today, so I got an extra helping of sweet, sweet kisses. I am the luckiest.

The Help

No comments:

Post a Comment