What are you Doing?!?

Shouldn't you be working right now?




Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Update: My left eyeball continues to go uneaten

I am sick to DEATH of talking about school, so I'm just gonna assume you all are sick of hearing about it. So, even though I have two exams left, I have already begun my Christmas.

I'm listening to a little Wyclef right now (oh, but how I love Wyclef Jean. He should feel unclean with the way I look at him sometimes), most decidedly NOT thinking about school. I'm thinking about the things I'm going to bake. Tomorrow, just a pizza (but from scratch my loves, that's right), but then Saturday, when school is actually done, I'm going to make my signature chocolate chip/butterscotch/pecan cookies. I'm going to make peanut butter cookies, possibly with Hershey's kisses in the middle  - this is entirely dependent on the availability of said kisses, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

See, I host a party every year, on Christmas Eve. It's become quite an event - I make my own nerdy Christmas singalong books, and we have us a good sing song. Sometimes with dancing. I usually spend about 3 days cooking and baking for this party, but of course, this year, I will be down south until just 2 days before, so I gotta prep early. Cause this year, this is it my friends - I will have Rock Band. Let there be rock!!!

Last year's Christmas Eve blowout lasted until 5:30 in the morning, when I kicked everyone out, as I had to be awake four hours later to make a turkey. Last year was admittedly different - we've had some dear friends move away since last Christmas, and while we're all still in touch, there is definitely a hole where these friends once stood. And last year too, we had THE INTERNATIONALS (always typed and spoken in caps, with jazz hands if at all possible).
\
Three lovely people, Stephanie, Stelios and Barbara (notice the use of names there? never happens right??) came onto us from Holland (where none of them are from) to study throat singing or drinking or something very important like that. They came here, knowing no one, and stayed with another dear friend, and thus, they were us. Jesus, the drinking. It was amazing. Amazing that everyone survived. I mean, we were basically drunk from Halloween to new years last year. The poor, poor, INTERNATIONALS had no idea what they were getting into when they took up with us...but we didn't just drink. We talked and sang, and danced, and became entwined in each others lives. I have a playlist that Stephanie put together, and this playlist has opened up a world of music to me - this playlist is so peppy and joyful and fun, it began the trend of living room dance parties in my apartment. I am grateful.

Although it's been a year, and I don't know when I'll ever see them again, they are important. We still talk about them at lunch. I still have a picture of us (laughing our asses off of course) next to my tv.

And this, this is why Christmas is awesome.

The Help

No comments:

Post a Comment